“True happiness is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” –Helen Keller
Have you defined your worthy purpose?
For me, being a wife is the most important role I fill while here on earth. Submission to Darrell’s authority won’t be a dynamic in our relationship when we’re in heaven; but learning the humility to submit while on earth renews my mind and strengthens my faith. This humility goes a long way towards shaping my inner person to be fit for eternity. (1 Cor 6:2-3)
God moves through my marriage in His limitless love and power to shape me into the unselfish daughter that He created me to be. Being a part of marriage allows me to work towards something bigger than me. Striving to make a positive difference in those closest to me diminishes my human selfishness by shrinking the desires of my flesh and moving me closer to the likeness of Christ.
There is no one else other than a husband who qualifies to fit in every category of relationship:
- …have unfailing love for one another – 1 Peter 4:8
- … shall love his brother also – 1 John 4:20
- …love your neighbour as yourself – Mark 12:31
- …no one has greater love […] than to give up his own life for his friends – John 15:13
Pulling strings or manipulating to gain the advantage in our marriage (more commonly known as getting your own way) will only bring temporary satisfaction; not true happiness. And does nothing to teach the kind of love that Jesus demonstrated for me to learn.
- Marriage is God’s plan to grow me.
- Marriage belongs to God; it’s His way and in His control.
- Marriage is the best opportunity I have to grow up. It gives me real life practice of disciplines that will renew my mind to think like Jesus.